{Çause õf Ðeath}
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

{Çause õf Ðeath}

***ÇõÐ Is Kind Of Like 7-11, We May Not Always Be Doing Business, But We Are Always Open.***

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Okay HotShot

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ßíGßí®Ð
Admin
ßíGßí®Ð

Male
Number of posts : 617
FAV ALL-TIME MAP : Dustlike
GAMING RIG AND OS : AMD 2.8GHZ 1.5GBRAM XPPRO
Registration date : 2007-03-02

Okay HotShot Empty
PostSubject: Okay HotShot   Okay HotShot EmptyMon Feb 25, 2008 4:55 pm

You have a 4GB PenDrive that you just used to extract 3.99GB worth of data from a clients PC.

You know the data was extracted from a heavily corrupted PC full of viruses, trojan horses, malicious spy/adware, pr0n, etc.

Before the Data was extracted from the original PC it was winzipped to allow enough compression to fit on the allotted 4GB PenDrive.

3.1GB is his Outlook Backup, and the remaining .8GB is misc files.

Now, the client as always needs a certain email within the zipped Outlook Backup (PST) file that contains a document with information that is highly pertinent to the future of his company.

Any initial extracts from the OutlookBackup to a PC causes a crash error stating the winzip file is corrupted.

What do you do?
Back to top Go down
http://cause-of-death.com
Jmizzle
ÇõÐ's Hip$hot Master

Male
Number of posts : 340
GAMING RIG AND OS : Pent 4 2.8Ghz, Radeon 9500 PRO
Registration date : 2008-01-20

Okay HotShot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okay HotShot   Okay HotShot EmptyMon Feb 25, 2008 9:40 pm

I was in a very similar situation last year. A client of mine flew in from Germany, had a presentation to give in an hour and only brought a single copy of it on his flash stick. Got here, couldn't get the damn thing to open.

The first thing I did was try to run a deep scan of the flash stick, checking "scan compressed folders." There were a few virii found on there, but the key for me was that the scanner did access the files. I tried the windows unzipper, and winzip to no avail. Then I had luck getting the file to open with WinRar. I had to unzip a couple files at a time, any more than that and it froze up.

After unzipping, did another deep scan and told him he was SOL on the files that were infected, but he had enough to do most of the presentation.

I think I got very luck in the situation. But I hope it was at least a little bit of help. I'm willing to bet you've already tried this route though.

Good Luck Bird.
Back to top Go down
$tea1th
ÇõÐ's $hock & Awe
$tea1th

Male
Number of posts : 527
FAV ALL-TIME MAP : RailHouse
GAMING RIG AND OS : i5 Intel CPU - Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 - 16GB G-Skill Sniper Ram - Samsung 850Pro SSD 512GB - Realtek Sound - GTX 660 Ti - Windows 7 64 bit
Registration date : 2007-05-23

Okay HotShot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okay HotShot   Okay HotShot EmptyMon Feb 25, 2008 11:10 pm

There are utilities that fix compressed files out there. I would google that if you havent already. I have also found "Get Data Back" Software to be helpful as well. Say the word and I will upload that software for you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scwd.us
FMA
Çõп Friend

Male
Number of posts : 14
FAV ALL-TIME MAP : MP_chaos
GAMING RIG AND OS : 2.4 Dual
Registration date : 2008-03-18

Okay HotShot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okay HotShot   Okay HotShot EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 8:42 pm

BB, if you have'nt a SEPARATE PC running for the sole purpose of virus removal/malware etc... go get (build) one. Even a p3 will do.

Not 1 shop (even my own, and I've also worked in 7 other shops as an employee) does'nt subscribe to this method. If you are just starting out, I understand, but the benefits of having 1 stand alone box for the sole purpose of extraction & quarantine (usually running semantic), outweighs the power draw & initial hardware investment, from a business standpoint.

Sell the client a mirrored array. Cost of 2 drives, 500GB = neglible.
Back to top Go down
ßíGßí®Ð
Admin
ßíGßí®Ð

Male
Number of posts : 617
GAMING RIG AND OS : AMD 2.8GHZ 1.5GBRAM XPPRO
Registration date : 2007-03-02

Okay HotShot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okay HotShot   Okay HotShot EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 12:43 pm

My apologies for not posting an update sooner.

I indeed had to bust out a old laptop that was "open to the elements" and proceeded that way.

Nonetheless Thank you ALL for your input! A talented bunch here.
Back to top Go down
http://cause-of-death.com
Sponsored content

Okay HotShot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Okay HotShot   Okay HotShot Empty

Back to top Go down

Okay HotShot
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
{Çause õf Ðeath} :: Pick Your Poison :: General Discussion-
Jump to: